I have over 16 years of hands-on experience as a director, project manager, developer and server administrator. I’m an expert problem solver with a strong level of technical knowledge on a broad range of subjects and I am a very capable technical leader who is experienced at building digital audience and revenue streams and communicating technical problems to non-technical staff.
DIRECTOR OF SYSTEMS AND DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY
Sarasota Herald-Tribune (Halifax Media Group), Sarasota, FL
May 2008 – Present
Recruited to manage design and development of digital initiatives in the local market as well as act as liaison for the corporate office for all digital initiatives. Promoted to senior management role within the organization and became responsible for all IT infrastructure and digital strategy to increase web traffic and online revenue while decreasing fixed costs and improving efficiency. Managed a team that became a keystone for the entire organization and the model for information technology/digital technology departments throughout Halifax Media Group.
[box]Key Projects and Achievements
- Project manager/key stakeholder for the first cross-platform mobile application created in-house throughout the entire company.
- Responsible for reviewing alternative mobile development platforms, like PhoneGap and Appcelerator, and built a strategy for rolling out cross-platform mobile apps by non-technical staff members.
- Directed the design and development for a site redesign that increased overall digital traffic by 75% (or 7M page views per month).
- Served, and held leadership roles, on several corporate committees to help develop the digital strategy for the Company, focused on mobile, HTML5, geotagging, content management systems, and hosting with Amazon Web Services.
- Changed the overall business strategy to put more focus on digital as an extension of our print offering and integrated web into the process flow of every department. Involved in the reorganization of the newsroom and advertising divisions to put more emphasis on growing digital audience and revenue.
- Implemented Scrum/Agile methodology throughout the organization and developed a system to allow for rapid website development throughout the Regional Media Group with minimal support from the development team.
- Lead the organization through a shift in web technologies, to put more emphasis on mobile, HTML5, social media, SEO/SEM/SMO, and user engagement metrics.
- Reduced IT fixed costs by over 30% in the first year and a realized annual cost saving of more than $100,000.[/box]
Sarasota Magazine, Sarasota, FL
April 2006 – May 2008
Hired to manage the redesign of nine magazine websites utilizing obsolete technology and to introduce new revenue streams for the magazines. Hired, trained, developed and lead a team of programmers and designers to work for the organization. Managed a $150,000 operating budget. Scope of position is expansive and includes full life cycle development, design, programming, implementation, support, training, administration, and management authority for all aspects of online presence. Spearheaded transition from outdated websites to highly functional, interactive, user-friendly web applications and created additional online revenue streams for each publication. Increased web traffic by 200% and created the company’s first digital revenue stream through banner advertisements.
Realtech Services, Inc, Bradenton, FL
February 2005 – April 2006
Built, managed, and maintained 30+ client websites including design, programming, ecommerce integration, database administration, server administration, pay-per-click and search engine optimization. Programmed dynamic content into existing client websites using ASP, ASP.net, PHP, Cold Fusion, and other technologies.
VP OF DIGITAL OPERATIONS
Nationphone, New York, NY
August 2004 – March 2008
Recruited to build and manage the implementation of an online payment and billing system. Hire, train, develop and lead contractors in database design and layout. Scope of work expanded to include budgeting and forecasting revenue for the startup and managing business relationships. Also responsible for trying to build corporate partnerships to help increase revenue for the business.
LEAD TECHNICAL ENGINEER
WorldPay, Inc, Sterling, VA
2001 – 2004
Cybercash, Inc., Reston, VA
2000 – 2001
Advantage Computer Services, Inc, Manassas, VA
1999 – 2000
Education & Certifications
NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE – Manassas, VA
A.A.S. Information Systems Technology, 3.62 GPA
-specialization in application development
COMPUTER LEARNING CENTER – Manassas, VA
Network Engineering and Management certification, 4.0 GPA
–CSM – Certified ScrumMaster
–MCSE – Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
–SCJP – Sun Certified Java Programmer
–CNA – Certified Novell Administrator
–MCP+I – Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet